Tuesday, April 14, 2009

CHALLENGING MY HUSBAND

I made Enchilada's last night. Probably not like Daisy Martinez would have made them, I created my own version (recipe to follow). They were FANTASTIC!! We had them with some spanish rice. They were spicy but not 'mouth on fire' spicy. I'm kind of a 'heat' whimp. Anyway, the recipe only needed one chicken breast and my husband had cooked three on the grill for me the other day. I didn't know how many it would take since I was making the recipe up as I went along. So not only was this delicious (hubby agreed) but it was pretty economical! So this is his challenge tonight: I have a doctors appointment after work and will not have time to make dinner, because I wasn't planning to cook I didn't defrost anything for dinner. I kind of forgot that we will eventually have to eat. So I called my husband and told him his challenge was to create something wonderful with the leftover chicken that I didn't use in the enchiladas. The chicken breasts are spiced with sweet paprika, garlic, a tiny bit of red pepper, salt and cumin. I'll let you know tomorrow how he does.

ENCHILADA RECIPE:

1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 can enchilada sauce
1 small jalepeno pepper (seeds removed, diced)
8oz monterrey jack cheese, shredded
8oz cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
pkg tortilla shells (corn or flower)
1 small onion, cook until translucent
sour cream for garnish (optional)
** if you don't like spicy food you can either use 1/2 of the Jalepeno or cut it out completely

In a bowl mix together chicken, jalepeno pepper, half of each cheese, black beans, and onion. Spray a shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Fill tortillas with a generous amount of the chicken mixture and put the filled tortilla in the baking dish seam side down. Continue until all chicken mixture is gone. Cover tortilla's with enchilada sauce and remaining cheese. Bake at 400 until the cheese is melted and the meat mix is heated through. Garnish with sour cream and serve with spanish rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment